Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Real Estate Group Puts U-Verse Under Fire - 2/15/2008 12:52:00 PM - Multichannel News

“These large U-verse cabinets have been proven to be hazardous from their early roll-out stages,” said NAREB president Maria Kong in a statement.
"The National Association of Real Estate Brokers has asked attorney generals in the five states in which AT&T Inc. has launched its U-verse services to investigate fires related to AT&T equipment.

The trade group called for the action to “preserve the public's safety and prevent further harm to property.”

Earlier this year, AT&T acknowledged problems with lithium batteries in 17,000 equipment vaults around the country. The most recent incident was a cabinet explosion and fire on Christmas morning in Wauwatosa, Wisc."

Sunday, February 10, 2008

AT&T is not being transparent about exploding cabinets - Small Business Times

AT&T is not being transparent about exploding cabinets - Small Business Times: "AT&T's cabinets that are placed in the rights of way of the community members of the Regional Telecommunication Commission present a significant danger to our citizens.

The safety issue relates to explosions and fires in at least four cabinets that are being caused by defective batteries manufactured by a now bankrupt company. On Dec. 24, 2007, one of your cabinets exploded in Wauwatosa. If the cabinet had been next to a wooden building, not a brick building, there would have been a major fire.

There may be many more incidents than the one in Wauwatosa, two in Houston and one in Cleveland. This is because you have not been transparent regarding this safety issue.
AT&T has been lucky that no one has been killed or injured in the residential areas where you have located these cabinets."